I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

29 November 2015

Passages

Sometimes, working late, I hear
a thump on the door, and think,
'There's my old cat wanting to come in' 
though I know it isn't, and can't be, 
and won't. Never again. My cat is dead.

***

Deep night.
That mournful sound:
faintly, a plane going over
high and alone up there,
droning its way away
dwindling into distance.

***

That tree, a weed not pulled,
grew fast, filling my skyline.
I try to remember now, and can’t –
had it even begun as a tiny shoot
when he was still here to see?


(Written as separate gogyoshi, then I discerned a theme.)

Linked to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #280

21 comments:

  1. I really like the third one, Rosemary. That growing tree which began as a 'weed' grows so very fast...and yes, marking the time after a death in a way. Who would ever imagine how quickly time passes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great form for conveying short bursts of emotion. I feel your loss and aloneness. The sound of the plane at night was an inspired touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A theme for sure and one I resonate with completely these days.....beautiful, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all these emotions - the solitude and the passing of time.. I really love them separately but to me they for a triptych, each supporting the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such poignant thoughts... The loss of a person, a pet, a disappearing plane..wonderful set Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. passage of time in three touching images...beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This works so well and and the feelings evoked are so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gogyoshi is the free verse cousin of tanka. :)
    great imagery in the 3 pieces. subtle, but the longing is palpable.
    the first gogyoshi reminds me of the noises i heard while working late, but it's not a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a poignant poem... have never heard of this form.. so the form is intriguing to me. I feel your pain.. the longing and deep sense of loss.. my heart goes out to you. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanaaa. It is as dsnake1 says, gogyoshi is the free verse cousin of tanka, a five-line form with no other rules.

      Delete
  10. The passage of time, thought and being...so very resonant and heartfelt...i could hear that airplane...flying and busy as we quietly lie alone in the middle of the night -poignant - and very powerful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this entire, Rosemary. I love its tone of quizzical acceptance of loss. I too live in an environment full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. had it even begun as a tiny shoot
    when he was still here to see?

    He must have missed it. Often one regrets that some innocent happenings could have made a difference if only made known in time!


    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. Remembering those past...the loneliness that comes more in the late night....beautiful melancholy sentiments in each.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful use of this form! Together or separately, they all convey that sense of loss and longing, the mono no aware. The first one resonates with me deeply as I so miss my cat that died just a few short weeks ago. The last one wrings my heart. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know this form--but I love how these worked together--esp the last one for me--beautiful write!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely contemplations

    have a good day

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not familiar with the form but, I think all verses are linked in thought. I think when we work late many thoughts roam through our minds. I can feel your contemplative mood.

    PS - One never knows who will call even if they are dead..just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like the form and thoughts so familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neat form. That first one really moved me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.