I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

12 April 2014

The Cat's Out of the Bag

She's sitting on the chair next to mine,
demanding bits of my breakfast toast.

She stares at me and cries, she is so
desperate, she wants to tell me,
for just this treat; she is owed.
Her person (me) keeps her starving.

Earlier, after her own breakfast,
she accompanied me back to bed.

She spooned with me, settling her tiny back
into my chest, as I arced around her,
stroking her tummy and throat
while she stretched and purred.

She is my boss lady, and I'm hers.
We've made our negotiations.

There are matters on which
we renegotiate daily. We work it out.
E.g. she will use the cat door, reluctantly, if
I keep ignoring requests to open others.

But I'd like to see me try to keep her 
in a bag! There would be ructions. 

She would scream at me and claw,
scrabbling fiercely, the way she used to do
at the carpet outside the bedroom door
when I shut her out ... before I surrendered. 

April Poem A Day Challenge 2014, day 11: statement. ("Make a statement the title of your poem, and either respond to or expand upon the title".)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.