I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 July 2014

Six Birds

Tribal Recollections 3

The birds are floating in the night sky.
The moon is huge and round and golden.
The Mother sleeps inside a ring of stones:
great monoliths, tall and dark.
She lies on a bed of stone
with a stone pillow.

“Mother,” whisper the birds,
“We have loved you, how can we leave you
alone under the sky in the deepening dark?”
But she says nothing. She never stirs.

A large bird stays 
poised in the air above her,
gazing down. The protective wings
are outstretched over her. The blue fringe
on wings and tail makes a guiding signal
she can follow home ... if ever she wakes. 

The other birds are flying away
more and more distant, smaller and smaller
in the grey sky. A purple snake
undulates across the sand by her bed.
She murmurs in her sleep but doesn't wake.
If she would pick up the snake,
she would be a healer.




Submitted for Poets United's Midweek Motif: World Snake Day

7 comments:

  1. I love this fable, the inter=relationships, the protections, and of course, the snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten your snake motif, which I had meant to write something for ... perhaps my subconscious was prompting me here!

      Delete
  2. def an intriguing write rosemary...rather a fable or legend...a dangerous game to grab the snake...but risk is often what defines us....

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what a fabulous poem this is. I love it all, the sleeping mother, the protective bird, and, especially, "if she picked up this snake, she would be a healer." Fantastic writing! Loved it so much. A poem with a snake in it that is beautiful. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely writing. I was mesmerized with the story then the closing line jumped at me. It left me thinking, smiling and happy that I read this. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She murmurs in her sleep but doesn't wake.
    If she would pick up the snake,
    she would be a healer.

    Great ending. One wakes up from a dream with lots of ideas. If only things turn out the better! Dreams somehow remain as dreams! Wonderful write Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an enchanted world you have created Rosemary...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.