I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

14 March 2012

Spooky

I keep quitting iTunes.
It keeps starting up anew,
my old mate Dutch singing:

‘When things go wrong,
so wrong with you,
it hurts me too.‘

It’s not even the first song
on the list. Three down, still it plays
every time — after I switch it off.

He’s dead. He was a friend.
Even so, I don’t think he hurts
that bad for my hurt.

Is it Bill (my ex-husband, dead too)?
They were close. And Bill
loved all Dutch’s music. Yes,

he might use that for a message,
and he would care that much
if I was hurting. (I am.)

Someone’s about.
My black cat prowls every room
stalking something unseen, hissing.

He normally doesn’t react
when Bill drops in for a visit.
What’s different now?

Andrew, the living husband,
tells me he has excruciating pain.
He thinks he will have to leave me.

Is it Death that lurks
in my house? Is that the hurt
I am both warned of and comforted for?


Submitted to The Poetry Pantry #91 at Poets United
and Open Night #35 at dVerse.

12 comments:

  1. whew...nice write...heavy a bit...and that death lingers a bit...this is really well done all the little touches to build the case for it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brian. I'm glad you think it works. (Funny, I nearly used 'lingers' instead of 'lurks' for Death.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this very much...dark, but hell....sometimes life is very, very dark.

    Lady Nyo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rosemary, so sad, so sad. The cat IS definitely seeing spirits. Such hard passages, life gives us. We are standing with you, in friendship and support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting idea, with modern technology taking the place of the traditional Ouija board. Effectibe, and ominous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe a message from beyond, or just a visit through the cat. Very dark, but I agree with Lady Nyo, sometimes, life is just that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha...spooky indeed...need to check my itunes settings...smiles...enjoyed the verse - how it builds....goose bumps...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. The older one gets, the more death is hiding in the simplest of memories, suggestions, smells...music is indeed, one of the worst, and you can turn off the iPod, but you can't turn off your head. Good work in this one, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I very much like the directness of this poem-- and a simplicity that yields to depth of feeling-- xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving this poem-- it's sad and haunting, the title fits and gives it a kind of whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Surreal, yet, a touch of real at the same time; and wonderfully written. Nicely done!
    http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/against-the-wall/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.