I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

24 March 2012

Limericks

Just for fun, and because it's the current FormForAll prompt at dVerse. Do pop over there and read Madeleine Begun Kane's delightfully informative article on the subject.

I can tell you, it's harder than you might think! These are not very amusing, and the scansion's not perfect. I might have to practise more at Madeleine's blog where she hosts regular limerick challenges. However, I enjoyed the attempt.

I’m sitting here drinking my coffee
while chewing on lim’ricks, not toffee.
I must have a go,
although I don’t know ...
my efforts might be a bit offy.

There once was a lass called Rosemary
whose visage became very scary
when greeted as Rose —
you’d almost suppose
she was really Miss Mary Contrary.

In fact she is Rosem’ry at home.
The diff’rences come when you roam.
In Gay Paree
she’s Rose-Marie;
now that has a certain aplomb!

Miss Rosemary longs to be thinner
but alas, she’s too fond of her dinner.
It isn’t the meat
that she loves, but the sweet,
as she stuffs more and more of it in ‘er.

I think I have run out of steam
or puff, or whatever you deem.
I’ll tell you the truth:
I am long in the tooth
and it’s time for a doze and a dream.


My own favourite limerick is one my Dad used to recite with gusto:


There was an old lady from Nicaragua
who had her false hair clawed off by a jaguar.
The old lady said, 'Ah!'
The jaguar said, 'Bah!
What a false, artificial old hag you are!'


(I now know it has too many syllabes in lines 1, 2 and 5 — but I love it anyway.)

This post also submitted for Poets United's The Poetry Pantry #95

15 comments:

  1. Why, Rosemary, this rocks! Who'd have thought?
    All your efforts are never for naught.
    My own favourite was "Thinner" -
    That last rhyme, what a winner!
    Such fine limericks here that you've wrought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful limericks here! Limericks can be fun. Reading yours are so refreshing!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did really well. Congratulations! And please do try my Limerick-Offs. You appear to be a natural. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lyrics really flowed well
    So I think Rosemary’s a belle
    In Gay Paree
    I hope you see
    Your lyrics could be sung by Adele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody!

    Madeleine I confess I have tried them in the past, but not for many, many years now. I was never very satisfied with my attempts, but after reading your article at dVerse I have a much better idea how to go about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do have a 'certain aplomb', very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe those sweets will get you every time...and you are right it is harder than it looks, but you pulled it off well and left a smile in your wake...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane Groothuis24 March 2012 at 17:22

    There was a young lady called Rosie,
    Whose friends never gave her a posy,
    But she read her stars which said someone from Mars was itching to come and get cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! These are wonderful. Thinner resonates the most for me too! And you've caught the meter very well. K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once knew on about dust
    and a woman who couldn't trust.
    It drove her quite mad
    the phobia she had
    in her grave she'd be cuss, cuss, cuss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good one, Pearl!

    Thank you, Karin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was loads of fun.great read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I especially enjoy "too fond of her dinner" and the love of sweets.......these are a treat to read, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent - a natural talent there!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved reading this! - witty and sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.