I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

21 October 2010

Driving in the Rain

It was only a dribble this morning,
not much more than a fine mist,
letting us get from house to car
almost dry — but now

we can hardly see out the glass
as the squall hits fierce and fast,
the gutters fill and the road itself
seems almost to flow

and I am thinking how strange it is
that I got to be the chief driver
these days, and how accomplished
I’ve finally become

as small waterfalls from the hill
gush onto the road and spread
and I manouevre the slippery bits
and we arrive safe.


30 Poems in 30 days, 2010: 30
Prompt: A poem that takes place inside a vehicle

4 comments:

  1. good on you! there's no better confidence builder than keeping at it.

    except I suppose when it demoralizes by piled failures.

    but you're no shrinking violet but glorious blooming one. the difference is largely a matter in inner talk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pearl, many times in the past I wriggled out of it! But yes, when having to, the inner talk is vital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading through these today Rosemary - such inspiration! Where did the concept 30 poems in 30 days come from and where do the prompts come from - sounds like a challenge I might like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Janine.

    The prompts came from John Hewitt's Poewar (Writers' resource Center) site. The url that takes you straight to the right page is http://poetry.poewar.com/

    There is also a 'chapbook challenge' starting today at Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides site http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/ (and look in sidebar for November PAD Chapbook Challenge 2010). This also involves writing a poem a day for a month, and afterwards you have a chance to enter a competition to get the best of them published in a chapbook.

    John Hewitt issues his challenge every September; Brewer also does likewise every April. (Neither of those includes a chapbook comp.) I generally do all three.

    It is possible to participate in all of these in whatever way and to whatever extent suits you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.