I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

22 February 2015

Naming the Ineffable

'What's your favourite alternative name,'
asked my friend on facebook, 'for God?'
A  rabble of competing answers came:
'Pick me as the truest / funniest / cleverest word!'

I look at this photo of a yellow-tipped bird,
a kind we don't have where I live.
'Here is God,' I think, but have no name to give.


For 'Play It Again, Toads!' #14 at 'imaginary garden with real toads', where you can also find the bird photo I refer to. I took on the challenge of using Rhyme Royal.

22 comments:

  1. Yes, here is God. Lovely. We certainly did go in different directions with the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite profound in its simplicity! Are these cool little birds? If you look closely, the brown fluffy feathers around the back of his neck looks to me like a little fur coat and the yellow is so bright - like gems. These are new to my feeder and I love their name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All your bird photos are very cool! I decided not to use the particular one here after all, as I think the poem's ending works better if it's left up to the imagination, at least in the immediate moment.

      Delete
  3. Love it, Rosemary. I read, reread, thunk, and reread some more. Enter God into the picture only two thoughts persisted:
    (1) the disciples quarreling over who Jesus loved the most; and
    (2) about when you were a little girl how at your prayer time you likely, my vision, prayed for all the doggies, kittens, bunny rabbits, ad abundantiam ...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this one is so true, and comes together on a metaphysic level. Whe know what God is in some sense, but a name is so much less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great title and a train of thought well-expressed in verse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an end!! so true..in the garb of simplicity you've expressed the deepest feeling.. ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does one name the ineffable? With a yellow bird that is neither named nor here shown but surely rhymed! That's theology enough for me --

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the meaning of that word....I am awed by His Creations ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very thought provoking! One needs to think hard to come to terms! Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. This rings so true. Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering the end, and very little else needs to be said...simple truth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. really moved by this beautiful poem - from the wonderful title to the final word - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love where you took this poem. "'Here is God,' I think, but have no name to give."

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so easy to see the beauty of God's work all around us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. in naming we narrow the definition...so i think i would have no name either...

    ha...ironically, my poem...american gods....and what makes him a saint...acknowledging that you dont know what makes him a saint is kinda the point...we elevate people to a level without really giving it much thought...for him, it could have been because he was bullied...or because he makes pretty dang good potatoes...ha..so really, that was the point...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it is what we do. Like little gods we name and designate what we will hold sacred, so much we miss.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's a zen-like moment at the end

    i am not religious
    but this did hit my spiritual sense.

    very nice

    cheers
    jzb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love where you went with this one! We can find God everywhere in Nature if we just look!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.