I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

12 February 2015

LOVE is not a Greeting Card

How cross you were
on our first Valentine’s Day,
when I gave you a card.

You felt, you said, manipulated,
as if you were then required
to go out and buy one for me.

I understand now
you felt guilty: you were trying
to shift the blame.

The next year, of course
I didn’t mark the occasion.
You, of course, did!

You brought me roses.
You often brought me roses
on any occasion, or none.

We had twenty years together.
Now you’ve been gone
not much longer than two.

Yet I simply can’t remember, now,
whether or not we observed it again
in all those loving years.

Probably not … or maybe …
How little it mattered! Love
permeated our days. 

I remember many other things …
the love that didn’t need a greeting card.
(Though greeting cards sometimes happened.)

Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif: LOVE is not a Greeting Card

23 comments:

  1. I must agree that valentine cards are meant to woo and win but not so necessary when the prize has been won...for then it is an endless duty to perform. Woe betide you if you miss an anniversary though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we didn't worry much about wedding anniversaries, but birthdays we made a big deal of. :)

      Delete

  2. ! So much Love! A lovely approach to this prompt, Rosemary!: Roses and cards can be forgotten and forgiven when we have the Real Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have not really celebrated Valentine's day for so many years. At least we agreed not to do cards or presents. On any given day, we celebrate. Married 46 years - our love is secure enough to do without designated days of expression.
    I love your story. Glad those years were full of love, of what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Love permeated our days". Beautiful. I love that he brought you roses for no reason other than that he loved you and wanted to make you smile. Sigh. More romantic than a Hallmark card, my friend. You two were happy. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more and more so as time went on. Though on the surface of that bedrock of happiness we did of course have ups and downs like everyone.

      Delete
  5. I like

    "Probably not … or maybe …
    How little it mattered! Love
    permeated our days."

    It really does not matter, if love is there, whether these human-made days are celebrated or not. A strong love is secure without.......or with! It just is not important in the whole scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each word is full of happiness just as love is....beautiful Rosemary...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happiness doesn't know what day it is, you expressed that so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well if you are going to be in a love relationship the Northern Rivers gives you a head start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love doesn't need a greeting card, smiles ~ When such love permeates everyday, roses or not, it doesn't matter ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. It brings back memories of days long gone. Physical presence is not mandatory. Love is such! Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sense of finding a synchronicity...of learning and forgiving and moving forward together...a love that really matters still...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosemary Im glad that love permeated the days weeks and years. Dear memories to lean upon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a tender and honest piece, Rosemary...touching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When roses are given for no reason, that is love.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.