I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

10 November 2014

To Describe This Garden

I've been going through old journals. Among other things I am finding poetry I didn't know I was writing — such as this, which I'd now call a prose poem. I haven't altered a word.

To describe this garden — the constant ruffling of sunny trees, light moving on water in the pool, the gloss of green, wide sky, sometimes birds … Swallows that skim the pool even when I’m in it, playing in air and water. Big starlings trotting and squabbling under the bushes. Slow grey doves. A quick wattle-bird with trailing tail.

I like the way the sky takes up a lot of room, even in the squared-off picture framed by my doorway. When it’s dark, and the trees are merged black walls and towers, the sky still soars in all directions. The traffic is almost silent, dogs bark now and then several blocks away, the stillness could be far from suburb and city.

When I swim, I look up at clouds and trees, or stars, and it might be Mataranka Springs, it might be Bali …

— Beaumaris, 15 January 1987


Submitted for Poets United's Poetry Pantry #226

22 comments:

  1. what a wonderful place to be in...i was already there.. :)...in congested places the sky is a luxury to be seen..love this abundance of beauty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful place indeed, and re-reading my own writing was a nice memory trip. My present garden is much smaller and has no pool, but I still get some of that same abundant green and soaring sky, and there are birds although different ones.

      Delete
  2. Lovely writing, Rosemary! Your poem relaxes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rosemary, just like you, I am also revisiting the old poems I wrote (i have to blame Poets United haha).

    This is an indication that memories live on and on and never gets old. Lovely prose, make me want to escape from the city right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly glad I journalled, to fix the memories!

      Delete
  4. Yes, wonderfully expressed memory.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning and soothing description, Rosemary! I guess you live in a warm part of Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a warm part of Australia now. Back then I was in Melbourne, which has warm summers but cold winters.

      Delete
  6. ah, prose poem, a thin red line to walk. :)

    1987! you were writing such good poetry then.
    i am going through my old stuff too, but most will need re-writing if i want to post them.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, most of mine will too, lol. This piece was a pleasant surprise.

      Delete
  7. Very musical and light your prose poem, Rosemary...Good idea to re-read the journals. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, re-reading them is a nice reminder of all sorts of things. :)

      Delete
  8. What a find! Your prose poem takes me there...lovely cadence and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sky does take up a lot of room, thankfully! I am so happy you found and posted these observations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer and swimming ,looking up at the night sky...lovely experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to sink into the sky like that..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rosemary, how beautiful. And how wonderful to be in love with the place where you are. I know that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the line about the sky taking up a lot of room..lovely writings..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you all could relate to this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful capture of the moment in time ~ I am glad you kept the journal and shared it with us ~

    Have a good week Rosemary ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im a great fan of prose poetry. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.