I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

28 November 2014

Storm Watching

I sit outside in the cool,
in the rain and lazy thunder,
under the wide overhang
of the back verandah.

My companion stretches and shifts
on his blanket, attempting calm.
But his sister was the brave cat.
Without her, he's uneasy.

So we come inside from thunder
and spraying, pelting rain.
I like all that — but he, I guess, has no need
to prove himself to me. He knows

I am very tender of him, I won't
challenge or scorn or compete.
Instead I usher him in, get him settled.
Then I find me a spot on the front verandah.

I see him through the flywire
draping himself inside the door,
looking out — near me
in safety. We are both content.

Both dVerse and Poets United, not surprisingly, are asking for gratitude/thankfulness poems right now. Perhaps I can sneak this in, with the idea that contentment qualifies!

23 comments:

  1. Love this cat-like-human image of yours, Rosemary. Enjoyed the relationships here, leaving me too calm and not pretentious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a roofed porch, sitting and watching the rain - LOVE your "lazy thunder" and the calm contented vision of you and Mr Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, life can be good indeed, in these quiet moments.

      Delete
  3. smiles... glad that you found a solution that worked for both of you... i bet that made him very happy... i love to be outside in a thunderstorm, listening to the rain... lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad when cats lose their cat companions as that love is the same that humans have an often greater as they so often can share the warmth of life together...

    My cat taught me more about life.. than 16 longs years of college and over 3 decades of work...

    He already knew it.. and it took me so long... to figure out what i am is instinct and intuition .. with truly not much need for knowledge where the real of life lives in love.. and connectedness of this whole big game of Thanks of life..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I was getting at in my poem, you have already understood perfectly!

      Delete
  5. contentment does qualify...not needing anything, we can def be thankful for what we have...i remember when my older cat died, the younger was lost without her for a while....i def love watching a storm roll in...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I do feel the calmness and joy in this. And who is not grateful for such moments?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosemary, I love the picture of contentment you paint...though I guess the poor cat would disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we can all be thankful for contentment...and truly a cat knows contentment. We can learn from cats (and dogs), and I am sure he misses his sister....but finds his way, as we all find our way to deal with losses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Contentment and gratitude can be as similar in effect. The cat seeks contentment in in quiet and non-threatening situations. One can learn from this! Wonderful write Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. This absolutely qualifies! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rain and thunder...lovely. And your kindness, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Total gratitude--for the veranda, for the time to sit, for the cat and for the rain .... and then again the cat has gratitude for being heard and comforted. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is wonderful that you and your cat (who seems a true familiar) have found a meeting of minds that works so well for both of you...the kindnesses of like souls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the scene you painted for us Rosemary and the fondness for your cat conveyed by your words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many thanks to you all for the kind and understanding comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I'm late, was dealing with a flu 'diversion.' I love this poem for so many reasons. The love of a good thunder-storm would be one (being one with mother nature in sublime and powerful action). And I loved my cat too, so much so that when he was curled up asleep by me (as close as he could get) or on my lap, I was quite unable to move and disturb his sleep. So glad you both managed to have your space to experience your own bliss yet still be at one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't apologise for being 'late'! It's so nice of you, at any time, to come and read my poems and leave thoughtful comments.

      Delete
  17. You are lucky of have that faithful companion ~ You captured both of your contentment very well ~ And I love watching the storm from the inside of my house, ha ~

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.