I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

11 September 2014

As Time Goes By

So this is what it's like, being 74.
They start leaving,
the ones you love the best, or
the ones you thought
would always be there.
In fact they've been leaving for years,
but now you notice it more.

At home there are just we two
now; I am just an old lady
with her cat. How do you do?
I am the old witch with the black cat,
living invisibly next door to you.
In future years, will it come to that?
Already it's almost true.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Rosemary, how poignant. Somehow I dont see you ever being invisible, you have such pizzazz and flair........but I hear you. I live inside my house most of the time, in silence. One becomes The Observer, the sage with wisdom no one wants to hear. Hmmm...that could be a poem. Race you to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's partly also a comment on how people seem to live inside their houses these days, without much interaction with their neighbours any more. Society has changed!

      Delete
  2. I want to grow old and gray but still brimming with energy & words ~ I hope I can ~ Take care Rosemary ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. On reflection one had already taken all the goodness these years. Now just to relax and enjoy every second, and enjoying each other's presence! Nicely Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you could ever be invisible, you make such an indelible impression on so many. No, really. As well as being youthful in your general attitudes, you are without doubt 'living' your chrone self. Hang in there in regard to how you are obviously feeling re Freya (and Andrew), there are many who love you enough to always hang around. Okay?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.