I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

20 May 2012

Obama the President


Oh how ecstatic.  
At last, I thought, 
And liked him so much, 

his Yes We Can slogan 
reminiscent,
It’s Time!

But it hasn’t turned out 

‘What chance
have they given him?’
someone asks.

I don’t know. 

Couldn’t he have closed 
Guantanamo? am I naive?  

Anyone, of course,
better than George 

personable, and his family
And has a brain

ought to have been 
the Messiah some of us 

but in truth 
seems weak.

And a damn sight more 
warmongering 

What good 
killing Bin Laden? 

him and Hilary and co 
all sitting around 
watching it on TV, 
like murder was GOOD 

chilling banality. 

No I don’t say Bin Laden 
was right or good or anything
But still. 

‘Two wrongs don’t make’

those values
long gone now.


A 'cut-up' poem, made from a prose timed writing in response to a prompt at WordsFlow writers' group.


5 comments:

  1. i hear you...i was rather disturbed by all the partying in the streets after bin ladens death...very reminiscent of the way they celebrated the tower collapse...again does not make it right...kinda hard with a republican congress...i dunno what to expect this election honestly...def not a fan of romney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do hope Obama gets another term. I am somewhat disappointed to note his human failings, but the alternative looks a lot worse (from over here in Australia, anyway).

      Delete
  2. A very well-done cut-up poem too! Not such a big fan of politics. For me, neither presidential candidates sound good. But I do agree in that all the wrongs committed do not make a right. We are we to judge such things?

    But politics aside, a very powerful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't often do cut-ups. It was interesting that this consisted mostly of cutting things OUT.

      Delete
  3. Those seeking election can say anything / promise anything. I see it starting up again now. Political posturing & statements made in order to win the election!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.