I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

17 August 2011

She’s Merely a Chocolate Dilettante

She said, ‘I'm craving chocolate at present,’       
which seemed to us a very strange remark –         
as if it were the whimsy of a moment,                       
and of no moment whether light or dark.     
      
‘You,’ I said, ‘are no true chocoholic.’                       
The others nodded fervently and long.                       
I must confess I felt quite melancholic.                       
I'd thought she was a soul-mate. I was wrong.
           
‘I hope you soon get over it,’ I told her                                   
but she was deaf to irony and scorn.                                   
It would have been a waste of time to scold her.           
Deficiencies like hers aren't made but born.          
             
There but for the grace … let's show compassion.           
She'll never know the taste of true delight,                       
our unabating, unregretted passion,                                   
that serotonin bliss with each new bite.     


An oldie from 2007.  I was looking to revise it, so as to have a post for the dVerse Open Link Night 5 — but decided it works just fine as is. Only the title and italics are new.                       

31 comments:

  1. The pacing in this piece was wonderful, great use of rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - i like this rosemary...the serotonin bliss with each new bite...so cool..i'm not that much into chocolate...so no soul-mate sorry but there are days i would die for a piece of chocolate and that serotonin bliss...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poem, Rosemary! The theme of this piece is light but very interesting! Enjoyed reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one and felt like readi9ng it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the title! And the write superb :) The fact that I'm now craving chocolate for breakfast bears no weight on my opinion! ;) Great fun!And yes...I do so love to rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. deficiencies like hers arent made but born...nice line...like the playfulness in this...it is well constructed...

    as if there are moments when you dont crave chocolate...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. an interesting tale.. I do love chocolates though, so I can relate to your "you are no true chocoholic"

    bliss indeed with each new bite ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, folks, glad you enjoyed. Actually, Claudia, the lady concerned is still a soul-mate. I was exaggerating for effect. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely bringing the smiles with this one, Rosemary. Some people just don't have what it takes--"Deficiencies like hers aren't made but born." indeed. Life without chocolate--unimaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol. that's my first laugh of the day. thank you.

    and yes, the misguidance of people who call themselves chocolate lovers. dilettante is the word for it alright. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lightness of topic belies the depth of craft you present here. Wonderful and precise alternation of iambic pentameter plus one unstressed syllable and straight iambic pentameter, which has a very musical quality to it. Especially when rhyme satisfyingly in abab quatrains, none feeling corny or forced and several nicely subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rhymes are exquisite in this!

    goes off satisfied in poetry yet craving chocolate. Dark today I think...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delighted to have amused!

    Thank you, Luke, for the high praise. :)

    Jannie, my work is done! (And yes, for some reason I find rhyming easier in humorous verse.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great meter, lots of poetic devices and the rhymes feel very natural. Love your final line

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chocolates a fascination to some, an obsession rightly said of some others. But it melts in your mouth not in your hands, that's alluring!
    Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A clever and moving poem-- enjoyed reading you, Rosemary! xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  17. you have a fun, playful energy to this piece. very cool:)
    seen you around...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the concept in the title "A Chocolate Dilettante" :-) As someone who doesn't particularly like chocolate, I found it amusing the idea that there are levels of chocoholism, and that some pretend to have a passion.

    Great poem, lovely form and rhyme. Enjoyed it lots. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh... but I am a chocoholic alright!! And that serotonin bliss...oooohh...
    uumm.. Hold on, ye lovely bar of chocolate, I am coming to you!! :))

    Enjoyed this very veeeeery much!! Alas, "she" doesn't know the true pleasure derived out of that chocolaty touch.. (sigh)..imbecile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all for the kind words.

    pervagus, I am so sorry for your affliction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the rhyming, and the suggested playfulness, too, although I recognize that chocolate is a serious business for chocoholics. Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of the most gratifying addictions! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  23. A delightful story Rosemary about chocolate...the verse is persuasive enough but I must defer all enjoyment of chocolate...some sleep now (10pm!) and chocolate first thing in the morning! Love the poem, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chocolate for breakfast? Oh Raj, that' REALLY decadent!, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your poem gave me a smile this morning, thinking about what it means to be a REAL chocoholic! (which, thankfully, I am not)

    ReplyDelete
  26. yes, this is lovely, it simply sings! now, where is my chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this poem - "I thought she was a soul mate. I was wrong". Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great fun poem. A chocolate dilettante is my husband, who can eat one square and STOP THERE! No chocolate supply in the house is safe from me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think chocoholics might be in the majority! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.