I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

5 December 2010

The Lady from Lombok

‘My husband beats me,’ she murmured,
eyes downcast, to Bill in reply to his praise
of her gentle beauty. Perhaps she thought
to reject an advance? I never saw a mark
on her delicate face, nor a bruise
on her dainty arm, and she didn’t move
like one with hidden injuries; she was lithe.

Nor did she, later, reject his advances.
I wasn’t with him on that trip. But I knew.


Now also forms part of my 'Remembering Bali' series.

3 comments:

  1. hm, complex encounter.

    all don't respond the same way to beating i suppose and to play with others may have been away of reclaiming ownership, territory of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too hard to know now, so long after. I myself was a different person then, in different circumstances, and my reactions and perceptions different too from what they'd be now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to have found you, Rosemary-- this is lovely-- I've been perusing your blogs-- beautiful work! Thank you for your wonderful comment today! xxxj

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.