I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

17 November 2017

Change and Light

As spirit animal, the dragonfly is connected to the symbolism of change and light. – Elena Harris: Dragonfly Spirit Animal and Totem

When she came to see him in the hospital 
when we knew he was dying, she said,
'On my way here I received a message.
I am to tell you to arrange with Rosemary
a sign, so that after you move
to a different dimension, whenever
you are with her, she will know. It might, 
for instance, be a butterfly.'

After she left, we talked and decided
butterflies are too common. I could easily
explain them away as not really
signifying. I had to be surer, so
we chose instead the dragonfly – 
seen in these parts, yes, but so rarely    
as to be significant. And it has been so – at first
those moments when I missed him most acutely.

Dragonflies would burst from a bush
right into my face, or land on the door of my car
just as I was about to open it, or skim across
a rocky pool ... always in immediate
response to my thought. Sometimes I would even
open a magazine straight to a picture.
Then, at a Sunday market in a strange town,
I found an antique mourning brooch.

It is crafted from woven hair, in the shape
of a dragonfly with all four wings outspread.
I took it to mean he is always with me, 
or can be any time I choose to bring him present.
I wear it seldom now. My need is less. Assured
that he is close, I can live without reminders. (Only
sometimes, still, if I have a moment of sadness,
a living dragonfly appears from nowhere, and I know.)





Written in response to Bits of Inspiration ~ Dragonfly at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.


16 comments:

  1. This is so beautifully evocative, Rosemary💕 I love how you portray your views and your interaction with dragonflies in this poem; and adore the image of the brooch 'crafted from woven hair, in the shape of a dragonfly with all four wings outspread' sigh.. such open honesty and raw emotions in your closing stanza. Beautifully penned!💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought of dragonflies as winged jewelry. I have a small wooded wetlands behind my home so my yard is often filled with dragonflies. I am so glad dragonflies visited you to bring comfort and let you know your husband remains with you in spirit. To find such a treasure as that brooch is both miracle and appointed. Thank you so much for writing for the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt it was 'both miracle and appointed'. You have provided the exact words!

      Delete
  3. if I have a moment of sadness,
    a living dragonfly appears from nowhere,
    and I know.

    Nature has a way of reflection. Life's problems can well resolve itself through its own means!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you have those signs from him that he is still near. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this is a true happening in your life as I find it profound and beautiful. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard people say that various things--pennies, pipe tobacco, perfume--appear when they most need them, to signal a loved one's presence. It's extremely comforting, and I believe in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written Rosemary. Often the most touching words come from just telling the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. Those reminders are so precious. I truly believe in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A mindful and beautiful reminder

    ReplyDelete
  10. your poem has such profound presence of another's presence - and done with the lightest touch of dragonfly wings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poignant and such a moving reminder. We're always connected one way or another with our loved ones who've passed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love poetry that has been lived. And when it has been lived magically, well... I feel privileged to read it. Thank you, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mystical feel to this as well as love. Love the brooch, and that you can touch or look at it, or even wear it if you have a need.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.