I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

13 June 2014

Auspicious

“Thirteen and twelve are our lucky numbers”
my mother used to say —because in our family
those dates appeared often: birthdays,
weddings, other special events. It was good
not to have to fear the “unlucky” thirteen
everyone else dreaded (all the kids at school).

Sure enough, Andrew and I were married
on the 12th (my birthday) and on the 13th
first the legal, then the spiritual rite.
The first was small, only our grown-up
children present. The second was a party
with a  crowd of our friends. Now, 20 years later,
our youngest grand-daughter, Emily, turns 13.


Submitted for Poets United's Midweek Motif: Thirteen

17 comments:

  1. smiles...that is cool...ours is the 25th....anniversary, when we met, got engaged...and her bday is on the 24th...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May these numbers always be lucky, blessed days in your life. This poem will be a fine gift to Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it will, Susan! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

      Delete
  3. You know, for a while I too found that good things of one sort or another always happened on the Friday the 13ths of my life. How cool that your granddaughter turned 13 on Friday the 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful passage of time placed so carefully in words

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a nice revelation that the 13th has always been a blessed day for you. Not being superstitious is being progressive in life! Wonderful take Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think believing a number to be lucky is also superstitious, but at least it's a more comforting kind, lol.

      Delete
  6. I think the numbers choose their people. What a blessed and powerful family to have been chosen by auspicious 13.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a lovely thirteen Rosemary....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great start to a grand march through life. Thirteen looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very sweet poem, Rosemary. What a relief it must have been to believe that 12 and 13 were your lucky numbers! And I am glad they still are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Numbers hold different meanings for different people in your case 12 and 13 are happy :) numbers. Enjoyed your poem..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really think that 13 could be very good - if you allow it to be...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rose! that's great, I would like 13 to be a lucky number for all!!! Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James. And please call me Rosemary, as my friends do. :)

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.