I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world,
to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')


These poems are works in progress, and may be subject to revision without notice. Completed versions appear in my books. Nevertheless copyright applies to all texts found here.

7 July 2010

Verse Portrait 87: Her Name Was ...

She was on MySpace
friend of friends.
We wanted to be
real friends not just listed;
but....

The poem she wrote at 10
thrilled me —
its rhythms,
its message,
its everything: perfect.
I praised, she dismissed.

The adult work
I couldn’t like.
All intellectual
wordplay, I thought,
clever for the sake.
Others admired, enthused;
the fault, no doubt, was mine.

Suddenly she’s gone.
Don’t even
remember her last name.
(Sad.)

4 comments:

  1. ah, timing off. hear past. perhaps hear future one day.

    I suppose even in face to face, the people can bloop away. such a large planet by times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true.

    The wordplay thing is interesting. You do that too, but I can 'hear' you, hear the feeling behind the words also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hastily elaborating: I don't find your work 'clever for the sake'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good you can hear and feel it. :)

    ReplyDelete