I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world,
to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')


These poems are works in progress, and may be subject to revision without notice. Completed versions appear in my books. Nevertheless copyright applies to all texts found here.

31 January 2010

Verse Portrait 84: His Ex-Wife

At first meeting, I was glad
to see she looked old.
I was wearing my red jacket
and I wasn’t fat then.

Hearing her talk, I liked
her forthright politics,
thought of being friends.

Disappointed, how
could she like me?
And I warmed
to one she despised.

That was 18 years ago.
Her youngest tells me now
she’s near her end.

My stepchildren’s mother.
My love’s first love.
This stranger.

2 comments:

  1. interesting part of the journey. I always wonder about how such step-relations relate to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we'd lived closer to each other, we'd probably have got on quite well. We usually did on the rare occasions when we met. However there was never much opportunity.

    Also it's a family rather given to having spats and taking sides. The fact that Spouse and I won't play does not endear us to some!

    (Obviously, I was not the cause of her break-up with my Spouse. Her great disappointment was the failure of her own second marriage.)

    ReplyDelete