I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world,
to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')


These poems are works in progress, and may be subject to revision without notice. Completed versions appear in my books. Nevertheless copyright applies to all texts found here.

5 July 2008

Verse Portrait 7. Flint

I kept seeing you
before I even knew
there was a you,
walking with me
down to the road
for the morning paper.
I got colouring, height,
even your approximate age.

When you turned up at my door
thin and rather scruffy,
"You’ve been homeless a while
haven’t you?" I said,
bringing you in for a drink.
Then I looked again.
"Oh, it’s you," I said.
"You’ve arrived."

Disclosure:
I can name this one because

a) he’s dead now, after a good life, and
b) he was my wonderful dog.

2 comments:

  1. These are so so good Rosemary. This one made me teary. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete