I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world,
to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')


These poems are works in progress, and may be subject to revision without notice. Completed versions appear in my books. Nevertheless copyright applies to all texts found here.

1 July 2008

Verse Portrait 2. First Boyfriend

We eyed each other off a while
before you made your move.
Or was it I who invited you?
So long ago …

You came to my house.
When I heard the knock I couldn’t
walk straight up the corridor,
stumbled though I wanted to skip.

Our mothers chatted politely.
We ran outside to play.
It ended when you told me
you didn’t believe in fairies.
(We were five.)

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!! More places to read your poetry.!

    If he didn't believe in faery he wasn't for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, mysterious reader, the enthusiasm's very gratifying!

    Yes, I felt I made the right decision. :)

    ReplyDelete