I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world,
to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')


These poems are works in progress, and may be subject to revision without notice. Completed versions appear in my books. Nevertheless copyright applies to all texts found here.

29 June 2008

Verse Portrait 1. Mum

You were always inclined to denial.
How well we all knew that stare
looking coldly a little way past us
or into some internal distance,
that vaguing of eyes and voice.

During the day of your dying, I discovered
I had it too, the same inclination.
An inheritance, perhaps?
I walked and I talked in a sort of trance.
This is not happening, I thought. But it did.

6 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your putting your comments in verse. Delightfully different!

    And at 68/365, I gather there is finally someone older than myself doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry's my favourite form of expression, so I just naturally do it this way - not even a decision!

    Being older gives one the advantage of a few more words to play with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are some perks to being older! And you get 3 more words than I do.

    I've been looking at your bio and other links here. I visited Australia in 2003, on a 6 week "walkabout" (not really) with a friend in Perth. Saw a lot of WA and fell in love with your country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well well, I was in Perth in 2003 - but it was at the start of the year.
    Didn't get to Margaret River though. (Yes I have been having a squizz at your links too.) Normally I am on the east coast.

    Only spent a few hours in SF (1998) but thought it was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever get back to SF, let me know. I'm a great tour guide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! It seems unlikely, but you never know. :)

    ReplyDelete